Friday, September 18, 2009

So far-






















Garment definitions-

A garment is an expression of material qualities.

I am using materials as my starting point, utilising and highlighting their existing qualities to inform design decision making as much as possible. I am working intuitively with the material, one decision leading to the next. I also plan to respond to materials in relation to different forms- the mannequin, the body, and others.

A garment is a record of process.

All garments are a record of process, holding within them a map of how they were created. However many fashion garments seek to hide these processes, to create an immaculate appearance. Through exploring this garment definition I am asking if there are ways of making that are truer records of process. I am also exploring different ways of expressing process in garments. Imprecision and hand work are key elements of this exploration.

A garment is an object of emotive meaning.

I am exploring methods/processes of making in which I am more deeply engaged, in the hope that the resulting garments will illustrate this relationship. A key element to this is working intuitively by hand, working directly onto the form, without the constraints of flat patterns and other learned conventions. I also hope to find elements which will lead to greater engagement of the viewer/wearer, which so far include texture and interactive garments.




No comments:

Post a Comment