Monday, September 28, 2009

against intuition


I chose this fabric- as something against intuition- something I would never usually choose to work with. Why?- it feels cheap, scratchy, clammy, and looks cheap, nasty, trashy, frivolous, comical, i dont like the shade of blue, or the plastic sparkley bits, or sparkly stuff in general. It is far too loud, and flashy. Perhaps some mad blue rinse LasVegas grandma would be into it, or maybe a 'trailer trash' gal. These are the associations i make with it via my accumulated knowledge. I guess that means what I do choose intuitively are what I percieve to be opposites of these things.

Although I chose the fabric against intuition I worked with it intuitively- which was to DESTROY it.The above images are of me pulling the fabric apart entirely, a process which was quite physical. I find the resulting pile of fibres much more apealing than the piece of fabric I started with.

No comments:

Post a Comment