Friday, September 18, 2009

Pin artist- Kirsty Hall


'Scatter' by Kirsty Hall


Pin drawing by Kirsty Hall


'Quiver' by Kirsty Hall

I Found the pin artist I remembered from DAS last semester.
Some of the aspects of her work have parallels with mine this semester- the creation of works in her pin series require repitition, and hand making, which I imagine would be quite meditative.
These works were also ever evolving and undoing themselves, due to the impermanence of pins in fabric as it is moved and worked on by the artist.
'Pin Ritual' was created as a performance piece, with Hall pinning the piece of fabric in the exhibition setting, and other places. Hall says the act of her pinning made others around her feel at ease, opening up conversation in ways it normally may not. I love that the act of making could have this effect, not only are viewers engaging more deeply with the work, but also with the creator.

I am very drawn to the texture of these works, and imagine how they would move, ever changing. I feel the beauty of these works is in their simplicity, the qualities of pins being magnified in their mass use.

The pin drawing I think is interesting as something so simple, and an action I know I have engaged in, pricking paper with pins. It is also a very clear record of process, which I think would be familiar to most people. This action to me is like popping bubble wrap, satisfying a desire for immediate reaction to touch. This is something that seems to be a part of my work, something I hope to unpack further.

http://kirstyhall.co.uk/art/pin/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fragiletender/276494871/in/set-72157600178438008/

No comments:

Post a Comment