Friday, October 9, 2009

counter intuitive- sand


So I was thinking of what else I could use to destroy the fabric, or at least what might get rid of the sparkles. Sanding worked well, and has a pretty similar effect to shaving. This time I worked the piece of fabric down to a very fine films of its former self, which I found quite beautiful.
I'm not sure where to go with these from here. I could be interesting to make a garment from the fabric, and then destroy it, see how it changes the silhouette/shape. It wouldn't be too difficult/time consuming to sand a larger piece of fabric- I was thinking I could tape it to a table top and sand the larger area, but then what do I do with it?
My destroy explorations have mostly been focused on changing the apearance of the fabric, one of the main reasons for my dislike fo them. I feel that I now need to go beyond that, altering other undesireable qualities. I bought some felt and quilting wadding today that I plan to add to my counter intuitive fabrics to alter other qualities (such as drape and weight).

No comments:

Post a Comment