Saturday, October 31, 2009

thoughts...

As i've continued to work with the counter intuitive fabric I have come to realise that intuition alone is not enough for me to create something from it.
Having worked intuitively with it- through the many destroy processes, I wasn't able to get the fabric to a point where I could progress to creating a garment/outcome from it. At this point the way I was working had to change to generate and outcome. It still involves significantly altering the material but in a more careful and considered manner. The random elements I was working with are still there to a lesser degree, and they are no longer the starting point of the garment.
You can take a fabric you love and do most anything to it, and still keep that feeling. With materials that are uninspiring I have to work at it much harder to get to a point where i'm happy with it.
Essentially i'm restructuring the fabric- having cut sections away and joining them back together using gel medium. A kind of collaged fabric/garment. Using this new process/new material my feeling was to mould it to the body as the new material lends itself well to moulding, rather than draping as I had been working with.
I will post images soon- as my computer died i'm having some difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment